Friday, July 31, 2009

REALLY?!?!?

OK - In the category of (almost) impossible to believe, I have now been diagnosed with skin cancer -- lentigo maligna-- a form of melanoma, to be exact, and it's located on my earlobe. (I thought it was just a freckle!)

I kept a dermatologist appointment last week that I'd had scheduled for months. Thought it might even had some variety to my day-- seeing new and different doctors, and talking about something other than my colon. My dermatologist biopsied my earlobe-- what I thought was just a big freckle. WRONG-O! My doctor called me this morning @ 7:30 am to share that it is an early form of melanoma. She is referring me to a local ear, nose & throat doctor because, in her words, "you're not exactly swimming in skin on your earlobe." My appointment is set for next Tuesday, the day before I begin chemotherapy. (Caitlin thinks it could be "cool." "Will make you look arty, like Van Gogh")

At this point I'll be honest. I am more pissed than upset. I mean, really, there are not enough cancers to go around for everybody to have their own? I have to double up and get two?!?!? And all of this on top of Charlie's unemployment? Somehow my name has gotten onto the wrong list!!!

So I'll close with the following and ask you to help get the word out:

NOTE: If you are looking for a spokesperson for a specific cancer, please contact Pam Riddell @ PRiddell37919@aol.com. We can't make any promises, but we do have strong credentials (colon cancer and melanoma), and we are apparently on the "Cancer Hot List." Let me know if you need more info or a picture. (Use your imagination: a bald woman with one ear...)

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Little is supposed to be a great ENT. You know, you always have to overdo everything else in your life. Such an overachiever! Sucky luck, but glad you found out this soon. Too bad the chemo can't fix the ear at the same time. :(

    Keep kicking butt!

    Love,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you just had to have the ear looked at didn't you. Don't even think about a mammogram. We don't want to add insult to injury! I think maybe Caitlin's Mickey ears could compensate for the loss of your ear though. Think about it. Lots of pinkness there.
    Hang in there. Apparently you are on a streak of some sort. Rest up for your chemo!
    Love, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not have any sage advice but I can pray. :)

    Love you! Claudia

    ReplyDelete