Wednesday, August 5, 2009

1 DOWN!! 35 to go...

This is Pam's second son, Adam, and I am writing in lieu of Pam. I am making her dictate though, so still her words.

"I had my first chemotherapy today. Arrived early (thanks Chuck) at 10am, and left at 4pm. Currently knee deep in being overwhelmed (i.e. Pity party for 1). Was hooked up to pump machines for 3 hours of that time. At the end of the time, they sent me home with a new addition. My very own chemo pump in a decorative navy blue (shoot me if caught in public with it) fanny pack!!! It helps me maintain a constant dose of the drugs. I am sure I will get used to it, but I did mention that it is a FANNY PACK?!?!?! I return tomorrow for another 2 hours hooked up to drugs in a room with very comfy chairs. During which time I get more machines and drugs, then repeat FANNY PACK procedure for another day. On the following day (Friday), I go back for a short visit to be disengaged from my chemo pump and AWESOME FANNY PACK!!! Did I mention a fanny pack? Rest for 10 - 12 days without touching ice cubes or anything cold, and start it all over again. It will lead me through to complete a total of 12 sessions in 6 months time.

"All of the possible/probable side effect instruction was a bit daunting - - it took Charlie, Adam, and myself to try and understand.

"But far more overwhelming was the company during the 3 hour medicine hookup session. The "chemo room" consists of 8 lazy-boy chairs that were all full today (and two others in a separate room) --people with cancers far more advanced than mine, and rougher treatments. One lady is on the same 3-day regimen, but her total time will be 23 hours in the chair/hooked up in the "chemo room". And there was lots of discussion among the fellow patients about wigs, treatments, and surgeries - - all of which sounded worse and far scarier than my situation. I am very grateful, but overwhelmed. Please include these people, their familes, and caregivers in your prayers as well.

"On a lighter note, my son Adam (who lives in VA) surprised me yesterday, LITERALLY, when he stepped from the dining room to the family room. All of my children have been wonderful and supportive, but if you know Adam, you know he brings the "goofy" with him, and he has lifted all of our spirits.

"Thank you for your continued prayers and support. They keep me going."

Based on Pam's dictation, and extreme following of quotation mark usage according to MLA guidelines, the above are Pam's words, thoughts, and feelings. On a separate note, (this is Adam) my siblings and father would like to thank everyone who has sent kind words, thoughts, prayers, gifts, food, well-wishes, and good feelings towards us and Pam. We are so blessed and comforted by the outpouring of love and generosity from so many people we know and love, and even those we do not know who are praying for our entire family. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts, and God Bless!!!

The above is an excerpt from the future book, "The Journey Towards the New Me" by Pam Riddell

4 comments:

  1. Waiting on an update on the ear? Hang in there. Fanny packs aren't the worst thing! You'll never have to have one when this is over. I forgot to warn you about the ice thing. Also be warned smells are going to bother you too. Start buying scent free everything. Stay tough. We are rooting for you and praying fervently. You can be strong and endure! We love you. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam,
    You have been on my mind constantly since yesterday...sending good thoughts and prayers your way. I think fanny packs are underrated--I mean they are like minivans...ugly, but hard to beat for usefulness. I am headed out to buy a new washer/dryer. Mine went kaput and dirty clothes are overtaking the house. The only reliable washer or dryer we have is the one you and Charlie gave us for the cabin. Apparently stove knobs and whatever other repairs Charlie did last longer than the Maytag repairman's fixes. I think that washer has another 20 years in it! xxoo~Moira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam and family - have been in our prayers constantly and especially as you start this chapter of the process. I have always loved Pam's stories and since the first post have thought her blog would/should eventually become a book of some sort. If anything, to make her laugh later when all of this is over. Thanks to you guys for being there for Pam and for keeping us updated - like she told me on the phone last week, now she knows "what is important and it sure as hell ain't scrapbooking shit!" Hang in there and know we are fighting the fight with you, Love to all of you, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam,

    I know you can make fanny packs look cool! Maybe you can add some cool patches or something to it. I'll be on the lookout for some cool ones for you to add! I hope you're doing well and I pray for your speedy recovery. Love you. Hope I can see you soon, when you're up to it. Roy and I would love to show you the new house whenever you're ready to come over. Keep your spirits up I know you can do it!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete